So… everyone has seen THIS conversion
But I didn’t like that (though I have three of them…). So, to have a better Obliterator. I COULD do minor head swaps and pose changes to generate a better model from the GW model which I dislike.
BUT, I like those models that make people really go, “WOW”. SO…I decided to make defiler babies!
My first attempt:
I used a tutorial I found on Chest of Colors ( I was going to link it, but it doesn’t exist anymore seemingly). It described how to make crap legs and claws. It worked, but was rather crude and extremely time intensive. So I opted to try to use tyranid scything talons.
My SECOND attempt:
Better claw (ork kustom power klaw). I liked the 6 legs as it was more true to a defiler. But, it was a static position and I didn’t like it enough to do more (though I still liked it). So, the project lay fallow for many a months. Then, the other day I was like “Screw it, I’ll build legs out of sprue!”. After many hours of measuring, cutting, drilling, chipping, and shaving I ended up with a basic armature. Slap a terminator body on it and VOILA! I have a defiler that has legs 40% the size of defiler legs (well, I TECHNICALLY measured a soulgrinder. Whatever). I used chaos shields on the front 4 legs to replace the leg shielding, added some spikes and some bits to get a sense of dimension to see where I needed to go. THIS is the start.
HOWEVER, it was falling prey to all of the same problems as the other ones. Static pose (though he had 6 articulated legs FFS!), odd scale, generally off-puting. SO, I swapped his head to the top like a defiler. Then I added exhaust pipes and started adding cabling and details to him. THIS is where he is now.
So, the squad together looks impressive . Very non-uniform but all sort of the same. Looking forward to painting these guys and fielding 6 oblits…ALL OF THEM DIFFERENT!
*As you can see, the detail improves as the size increases. Ironically, he fits on a 40mm base best. HOWEVER, I plan to use either 50 or 60 mm bases. 50 if I can get them, but if not, then 60’s and I will just put a bunch of crap on them. The last one will likely be descending something or crawling across/over something to capitalize and display the articulation in his legs.
Thanks for reading. More to follow!
So I sat down and started working on my tanks. Sick of fielding half-ass abominations, so I started working towards what I wanted. Still have to get spikey chaos bitz to go on some of the stuff (While the Cordos rats aren’t chaos, they aren’t very friendly either…well, at least not to the Imperium) and these have the appropriate level of gore that I am looking for.
Here is the Griffon:
Still have some GS work around the edges of the car that the rats are mounted on, and want to touch up the bolts (as well as the rats themselves). The cannon (for those who don’t recognize it, it’s a demolisher cannon) will get some GS work on the sides and at the base to fill in the gaps. The holes will largely remain empty (might put some rat tails or heads sticking out on some of them however).
Here is some painting done on the devil dog:
Got some washing to do, highlights, then I think I’ll be ready to attach the wheels and start working on the outer pieces!
Lastly, the manticore/deathstrike:
For this, I was looking for something grisly and just downright gruesome. Something to indicate the importance of the manticore (well, the weapon the rats strapped to a chimera chassis really). Thus, I felt a pile of bodies on the hull was appropriate. Well, that’s ALWAYS appropriate in 40K 😀
They don’t look very good now, but after it gets painted it’ll look much better.
Well, that’s my progress thus far.
Thanks for reading, as always love to hear comments and suggestions,