Playing with new units!
So, the holidays and Christmas have been time consuming to say the least. A new job, holidays, birthdays, and now air assault school have left me little time for hobby or gaming, but I have managed to a few games in. So, during those games I tried out some new units (or, units I just don’t use that often).
Blue Scribes: These bubbas weigh in at 81 points for a character (NOT an IC though). However, he has several key advantages.
1) He auto-casts one random power from the BRB every turn. If you use Maelific, he has a 1 in 2 chance of summoning something. Downside is that if he summons a herald he takes a wound if he elects to use the power. HOWEVER, he can also pull from biomancy (some pretty decent powers). He also the ability to use Daemonology: Sanctic as well. The power is rolled at the start of the turn before movement as well and the blue scribes are a jetbike so if Cursed Earth is rolled they can get into position quite easily.
2) Against psykers he has a chance to increase the number of warp charges generated by friendly psykers.
Overall, he’s pretty good and a fun character to play. I will certainly be using this guy more!
Epidemius- Ok, so this guy got nerfed…like hard. However, when you put him with blight drones he is nasty. I ran dual blight drones with this guy surrounded by plague bearers, nurglings, and plague Drones. The battle cannon on the blight drones racks up wounds very quick. 27 wounds is a lot to build up, but within two turns I had wracked up 15. I was at 27 by the end of the top of turn 3. The keys to building this guy up-
-Daemon Princes of Nurgle and Psychic Shriek. This one is clutch as it wracks up wounds pretty damn quick.
– Blight Drones- flying reaper auto cannons and blight cannons.
– Multiple Nurgle Heralds with ML 2. I ran 2 plus epidemius. One had 2 biomancy powers, one had one biomancy one daemonolgy. However, they also get a free Nurgle power. With an icon they can summon daemons that deep strike continuously more plague bearers around epidemius.
– Kugath with Necrotic bolts- SImilar to a battle cannon.
Aquila Strongpoint- Yeah, so the shop has one of these and I ran it. You think a knight is a problem? You sick of Eldar? You sick of riptides? Then run this badboy. AV15 I have discovered is damn near impossible to kill. Pay the extra 60 points for 4 tank trap sets to make it impossible for knights to get close and you can tear things up at will. Used the Void missiles. By turn three the enemy was nearly tabled with 3 void missiles hopping around his deployment zone. This thing takes a MASSIVE effort to kill as well. I was running against a taudar riptide/wraithknight army. D strength weapons made short work of them. Stronghold assault= a MUST HAVE! 535 points of pure awesomeness!!!
On that note, I tried a style of daemons I have never run before. The daemon bomb…
It was a mono-Khorne army with renegades. The renegades had a LOT of cheap units which allowed me to DS all of my daemons. All of the daemons had instruments and icons (well, the ones that could). I also had a aegis defense line with comms relay for reserve rerolls. This allowed me to drop one unit on turn two and right away he had just shy of 1500 points of Khorne daemons in his backfield. Turn three he was assaulted en masse by 2 thirsters, 32 bloodletters, 8 hounds, 5 crushers, and a blood slaughterer. It wasn’t the fact that the attack came early, but that I was able to wait until he deployed, moved and then slammed into the weakest spot. This was against a Necron force and I was able to hit one flank that crumpled immediately. This resulted in a massive shift that completely ignored the renegades that ran the field and held most of the objectives. I liked the method and hope to use it more frequently. With renegades I am able to crank out lots of units for 30 points each. For 500 points I can handily achieve 10 objective secured units with heavy weapons.
Well, thanks for reading. Air assault school will soon be over and I hope to get some more time for hobbying and gaming!