The trouble with conversions en masse
So I worked on my rats last night and realized…damn, I have a long ways to go. While I am quite positive the end result will yield appropriate “oohs” and “ahs” the sheer construction of models has become daunting, not to mention acquisitions. But in this all, I have learned several very important lessons. So, for a normal model, the process goes as such:
Alas, my process has become a touch more difficult:
1- Buy model
3-Find appropriate conversion pieces
4-Buy Conversion bits/Build conversion bits
5-Clean conversion bits
6-Convert original model
7- Become frustrated at gluing tiny pieces and having them stuck to your hand.
8- Paint models
So, really 3 steps longer.
Conversions are a pain, but when you do them en masse a few problems come to rear their ugly heads-
Quantity available- Come to find out, many bitz suppliers do NOT keep 160 hand grenade bitz, 18 missile launcher bitz, or even something such as 140 rifles (pig iron Kolony rifles) on hand. This means I have to order from multiple places or wait longer….I hate waiting. Then comes shipping. Oh my god, why does shipping 2 oz. of plastic cost 8 dollars shipping! I call BS. Regardless, so to mitigate costs I find myself shopping around (almost continuously. I find myself slipping into an Ebay Bitz addiction).
All the same? – So a rat with a rifle. Cool (I think). 160 rats with rifles? Tough to get ANY variation (especially as Skaven clanrats have a single piece for legs, head, body, and shield arm which is tucked in really tight). So I can move around the gun arm or I have to get to chopping the models apart. Sounds easy enough. Problem is, doing it with lots of em. 5 minutes each times 100 equals 500 minutes, or 8 hours and 20 minutes just to repose stuff, and 5 minutes is a very conservative estimate for minor reposes.
Damn you square bases! – So Skaven are fantasy. Imperial guard are 40k. Again, this is a bulk issue. Getting an extra 10 circular bases is easy, but digging up a ton of bases (many of them slotted at that) has become a challenge. Given, with casting, I have started to get underway with this one. (I am actually using my scenic bases and flocking over the daemonic scenics. Yes, I am making scenic bases MORE boring…)
So looking back, a few mistakes have been made on the way. However, the army advances ever yet forward. With 48 clan rats converted, several HQ units, the deathstrike and Hellhound well underway I find that the more I do, the faster I work. Momentum is great.
Thanks for reading,